Wednesday, June 24, 2009

March 14, 2009 200k brevet

My Timex watch reading:
Ride start: 7:00am
My ride finish w/riding companions: 2:52pm

My Cateye reading:
Total miles accumulated: 126.83
On-the-bike riding time: 7:09:02
Max speed: 29.3
Avg. speed on-the-bike: 17.7

Someone's Polar reading:
Burned ~5,000 calories

Description: Good road surfaces, flat w/rollers, little wind (we got lucky), only couple stupid drivers, chased by dogs ~3 times & almost chased by a groundhog (just ask me)

Short version lessons learned or reinforced:
Drink more than you think you need.
Eat even if you don't feel like it. Don't go 50 miles w/out eating.
Conserve energy even when you're feeling good - you'll pay later.
Brevet riders don't like you riding in their group w/aerobars (I listened).
Brevet riders don't like you riding in their group w/ipods, even in one ear (I didn't do this, but I know a lot of people who do). They prefer you ride alone or w/ external speakers like my x-mini.
Prepare earlier in the week; not the night before.
You must plan. It's a big loop. No returning to car 1/2 way; no support.
Don't think Illinois is an "easy" ride.
Don't think 124 miles is "easy" - just slightly beyond the 100 we do on any given weekend.
Brevet riders are courteous & safe riders in a group - many of the meetup members could take a lesson, seriously.
Put brevet card in plastic like map, dummy.
You need to be mentally tough on these rides & especially the longer ones.
Don't wear heavy Camelbak road biking this long distance!


My personal long-version report:
Day/night before...Do I have a cold? Did my students give me their cooties? Downing pills for few days to ward off sickness. Lower s.i. joint in back killing me. Lay on heating pad all night to loosen it up. Putting on new shoe cleats 9:30pm. Prepared?

What to wear? Temps 30's to start, 50's to finish. How will I carry shed layers? Camelbak is the solution, plus good for my adventure race training, right?

1. Wake 4:45am (thought: go back to sleep)
2. Thought of a lot of excuses to NOT follow through & go (won't bore you w/that)
3. Look out window (thought: at least there's no frost on the car windshields)
4. Driving to the start (thought: Doh! I have my Camelbak, but not my water bladder)
5. Pre-ride meeting. "Make sure you get your brevet card signed." Uh, where's mine? Didn't get one until 1 minute before take-off so I stuff it in my jersey pocket. No time to take off Camelbak.
6. Can't help it. Join riders in the front. They know where they're going. Pace seems comfy. Louie (some guy I met on ride) has been riding these since the 80's. Honor to ride w/him.
7. Early on there are only 4 of us breaking away...1)Louie, 2)some guy from Indiana, 3)Rod from O'Fallon, IL and then 4) me. Need to establish that in a brevet you just go your pace. Enduring & pacing is most important. There's no 1st, 2nd place. There are just "finishers!" One difference: brevet/radonneurs spend more time on bike & less time at rest stops.
8. Starting pace was my comfort level any other day. Today, I was out of breath tooooo early on; gave it little thought. For 40 miles we rotated leading up front & I felt decent. Mile 40 something changed: energy zapped & dizzy!! Dehydrated?
9. I drink 1 bottle of water/Perpetuem mix & no food for 50 miles. Why? Well, we didn't stop or really slow down. It was all in my Camelbak, which I couldn't get to w/out taking it off. I was cold & lazy. Not convenient. Was neglectful.
10. Reach "control" ~mile 50. Drink Starbuck's & eat a donut. I think Louie ate 3. ;-) Louie tells me to eat up, drink up. Doh, my brevet card is soaked - but she signs it ok.
11. Not too cold in the a.m. actually until after we stopped & started again. Took 5 miles to warm up each time.
12. Above left knee starts to hurt after our stop. Now what's wrong? Never felt this pain & wouldn't go away. Guys back off speed to help me stick it out. They stop to give me Aleve. Louie continues to coach me on. I'm pretty discouraged & frustrated.
13. 25 miles or so later to 2nd "control" I tell the guys to go w/out me, but they wouldn't. I didn't want to slow their avg but Louie said, "Not all rides are about that. We're doing fine. Let's just keep moving." Ate King size Snickers; not enough but didn't want to eat anything. Nothing sounded good; felt sick to stomach; no appetite (unusual).
14. They buffered me from the wind, slowed the pace down, gave me pointers. I'm pedaling w/one leg, changing my pedal stroke, holding my knee, standing to get different position, stretching, still in pain - dull, not sharp. What caused it? Don't know. Could be many factors.
15. Throughout ride I hit the wall multiple times, almost coming to a stop once. All layers of clothing soaked. Dehydrated for sure. Louie warned, "Don't get cranky on us." ;-) He was right.
16. Mile 80: (Thought: Doh, I forgot my cool Brevet bag for top tube that I got for b-day. Could have helped to keep food & card in there, which is what it's for. Shoot.)
17. Mile 100: Pitstop at gas station. Louie was feeling dehydrated. I finally took a pee for 1st time. Louie bought me & him a Coke. Really nice guy.
17-1/2. Somewhere along the line Jim joined in on the fun & brought the camcorder. I felt like crap & probably looked it. :(
18. Louie talked to me about mental toughness, positive thoughts, staying focused, & how to manage my frustrations & aches. He really got me through this & was a great teacher. He kept me tough & wouldn't let me give up but also he talked "straight."
19. Last 15 miles were tough. Louie wanted me to smile, but all I could do was grimace. Not one of my best experiences. (Thought: I'm sick of wearing this heavy Camelbak - I don't know...8+ lbs? I want to throw it in the river!!!!!)
20. Edwardsville: never been so happy to see that sign. Turned in brevet card @ police station. Got email, congrats, kiss, hug, & slap on the butt from Louie. Probably 25 yrs my elder, but I didn't mind. He was a rockin' cool & nice guy whom I'll never forget & hope to ride w/ again when I'm performing better.
21. Sunning on my tailgate while few riders rolled in later & congratulated them. Still could hardly eat. Charlie horses in hamstring. Glad it was over.

Finished 1st brevet, which was a goal I set many months ago. Braved chilly start. Learned some lessons. Found weaknesses in my "mental game." But no flats or mechanicals. No rain. Sun came out & warmed us up later in the ride. Knee felt better @ end. Super nice guys to ride with!!

That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers