Tuesday, April 14, 2009

LBL Challenge Metaphors (race report coming soon)

I mentioned I’m not eloquent with words.  Not many metaphors came to mind during the race.  I soaked it all in and after 28 hours of racing I was definitely amazed at what our team accomplished.  The hardest thing I had to deal with was the disappointment at the end.  Since I haven’t told the race day story, you don’t realize what I’m talking about…yet anyway.

Here’s my attempt at some metaphors.  None of them are deep and meaningful.

Packing for the LBL 24-hr adventure race was like trying to choose what to eat at a smorgasbord using a 6-inch plate with only ONE trip allowed. 

Preparing for my first 24-hr adventure race was like preparing for a job interview.  No matter how much I plan and think over the details and strategy, there is still an element of surprise.  I try to anticipate what I will encounter, but I have to deal with the uncertainties.  Will it be typical?  Will I answer confidently and intelligently? 

Taking the first step in the LBL 24-hr race was like going on a first date.  I was mainly excited and curious about what I’d encounter, but in the back of my mind I was hesitant and worried about the outcome.  I can be my best, but it may not be enough.

Following the lead of 3 talented men is like opening a small gift and finding a much larger (in value) gift inside.  Bill, Matt, & Mike brought a myriad of talents and traits to the race.  95% of the time I never questioned decisions or worried about their ability to lead the team to victory.  I enjoyed the gift of their strategy and support for 28 hours.  The small gift represents y expectations before the race, and the larger, more valuable “surprise” gift represents my actual experience with my teammates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers